If you were employed at or visited Defendant Graphic Packaging International, LLC’s (“Graphic Packaging”) Centralia, Illinois facility between June 29, 2016 and September 1, 2021 and were required by Graphic Packaging to scan your hand for timekeeping purposes or to enter the facility, you may be entitled to $1,000 under a class action lawsuit.
A federal court authorized this Notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.
- A proposed settlement will provide $997,808.22 (the “Settlement Funds”) to fully settle and release claims of the following individuals:
The individuals identified who used a Hand Punch 4000 terminal at Defendant’s Centralia, Illinois facility between June 29, 2016 and September 1, 2021.
The following are excluded from the Settlement Class: (1) the district and magistrate judges presiding over this case; (2) the judges of the Seventh Circuit; (3) the immediate families of the preceding person(s); (4) any Released Party; and (5) any Settlement Class Member who timely opts out of this Action.
- Graphic Packaging denies Plaintiff’s allegations and deny any wrongdoing whatsoever. The Court has not ruled on the merits of Plaintiff’s claims or Graphic Packaging’s defenses. By entering into the settlement, Graphic Packaging has not conceded to the truth or validity of any of the claims brought against it.
- The Settlement Funds shall be used to pay amounts related to the settlement, including awards to Settlement Class, attorneys’ fees and costs to attorneys representing Plaintiff and the Settlement Class (“Class Counsel”), any service award for Plaintiff and the costs of notice and administration of the settlement. Class Counsel estimate that Settlement Class members will receive $1,000 (“Initial Settlement Award Checks”). Any monies remaining in the Settlement Fund after the Initial Settlement Award Checks are distributed and the expiration date has passed will be distributed on a pro rata basis to those Settlement Class Members who cashed their Initial Settlement Award Checks (the “Subsequent Distribution”), so long as the amount to be distributed is at least $5.00 per class member. The Subsequent Distribution shall be made within ninety (90) days after the expiration date of the Initial Settlement Award Checks. If there is not enough money to pay at least $5.00 to each Settlement Class Member who cashed their initial Settlement Award check or accepted their initial Settlement Award deposit, or if any checks or deposits from the subsequent distribution remain uncashed after the stale date, those funds shall be distributed to the Electronic Privacy Information Center as the a cy pres beneficiary closely aligned with the class’s privacy interests, subject to court approval.
- Your rights and options, and the deadlines to exercise them, are explained in this Notice. Your legal rights are affected whether you act or do not act. Read this Notice carefully.
|YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND OPTIONS IN THIS SETTLEMENT
|EXCLUDE YOURSELF OR “OPT-OUT” OF THE SETTLEMENT
|If you ask to be excluded, you will not receive a payment. This is the only option that allows you to pursue your own claims against Graphic Packaging or other released parties related to a released claim. The deadline for excluding yourself is April 22, 2024.
|OBJECT TO THE SETTLEMENT
|If you wish to object to the settlement, you must write to the Court about why you believe the settlement is unfair in any respect. The deadline for objecting is April 22, 2024.
|If you do nothing, you will still receive a payment from settlement and give up your rights to sue Graphic Packaging or any other released parties related to a released claim.
|GO TO THE FINAL APPROVAL HEARING
|You may attend the Final Approval Hearing. At the Final Approval Hearing you may ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the settlement. To speak at the Final Approval Hearing, you must file a document which includes your name, address, telephone number and your signature with the Court, which must also state your intention to appear at the Final Approval Hearing. This must be filed no later than April 22, 2024.
- These rights and options—and the deadlines to exercise them—are explained in the FAQs on this website.
- The Court in charge of this case still has to decide whether to approve the settlement. Payments (i.e., Settlement Award Checks) will be disbursed if the Court approves the settlement and after any appeals are resolved. Please be patient.